Thursday 20 February 2014

Sherwood Forest!

Today I have been at Sherwood Pines with some family friends, including Sean O'Neill who is a photographer (look him up: http://365project.org/seanoneill/profile )

We have been photographing birds and squirrels from their log cabin, which gave us an brilliant view of their bird table. 

We also went on a lovely walk were we heard loads of bird calls, especially the robins.
I took my photos with my Canon DLSR.
We saw a wide variety of birds including long-tailed tits, great tits, blackbirds, woodpeckers, pigeons, collared doves, chaffinches, nuthatches (which I haven't seen before) and loads more!
I also took my GoPro which was really good to use on the walk.

Sean showed me how to do some creative shots by changing the position of the camera whilst taking the shot. The photos which I took experimenting with this effect are near the bottom of this post.




 

After I uploaded the photos onto the computer, I used photoshop to experiment with filters, contrasts and colours. As you can see below, the effects I used really brings out the red tones of the woodpecker. 


Robin feeding on the bird table!

Male Chaffinch!

Female Chaffinch!

Nuthatch!


The weather was great, which really improved the quality of my photos.




Coal Tit!




I have never had a nuthatch visit my garden before, so it was great to be able to see one today!
When I got home I did a bit of research about it, as Im not as familiar with it as other garden birds.

"The nuthatch is a plump bird about the size of a great tit that resembles a small woodpecker."

"Where to see them

Best looked for in mature woods and established parkland in central and southern England and Wales, on the sides of tree trunks and underside of branches. "






Here are some of the experiments Sean showed me:







Sherwood Forest is full of wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment